www.flickr.com

11.15.2006

his name was Dick...

...but he was actually a pretty nice guy. We are getting a few estimates on windows for our house. I made the mistake of entering a contest to win free windows, and I got a dozen phone calls from the Evans Glass company trying to set up an estimate. They always called when I was at work on in class and they never left a message. When we finally set up the appointment they didn't show up and called a couple days later to find out why we weren't home for our appointment. I told the guy we were here, and he said he would talk to his guy and see what happened. I had read a review of the company that said a high pressure salesman came to her house and told her the price was only good if she signed that night and wouldn't leave the estimate. I told the guy who set up the appointment that if they weren't going to give me a written estimate, and if they were going to play that game, I didn't want to bother with the appointment. He acted surprised to hear this and assured me that was not the way they normally did business.

He lied.

They sent this nice old man with his big binder of accolades and his magician's case of window bits. He went on and on for 2 hours about how great their windows are, how crappy everybody else's are... blah. He finally got to the price (which was 9k in materials cost for 6 windows and 2 doors). BUT IF WE SIGN RIGHT NOW! - 25% off. So lame. It took a while longer to convince him that there was really NO WAY we were committing to anything tonight before he finally left.

If you found this post searching for Evans Glass or Eurocraft windows... do your research first, and get your other estimates. Call them last, be prepared to give them three hours of your life, and see if their one time deal works for you. It doesn't for us.

7 Comments:

Blogger Annemg said...

You could be cheap like me... I ordered our windows for $150 each from Lowe's, and put them in myself. ;)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get windows? We had our apt. w/ Evans. The original price was rediculous. She then dropped it to $9700. This was, according to the rep, the wholesale price including labor. We initially took the deal b/c bedroom windows were/are really bad (mold/mildew). We cancelled the contract in part b/c of the cost, total financed would have been $14k, nearly 1/2 in finance charges, and b/c we didn't have time to research. So as I knew they would, they come up with another figure. $7700. Funny...this guy says it's the wholesale price. We haven't totally backed out yet. We're looking at houses that have had them installed and getting references. I figure tha's not bad for 5 bedroom windows (3 good size), a bathroom window, and a large living room picture window with some etching.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would strongly recommend you read the postings about Evans Glass at RipOffreport.com. I left one of the posting because of the absolutely terrible install job they did on my house. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=Evans+Glass

DO NOT use Evans Glass!!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently I got lucky because through a coincidence the Evans guy who came to my house had formerly worked at the same company as me and know the same people, so when I kind of pushed him out the door because we were running into my kids bedtime he actually went without a fuss. Now I'm really glad as I've been doing some Internet research today and finding all kinds of things out. Some of the "facts" they gave me in the sales pitch kind of set off my radar, and it's sounding like that's because they aren't true! Thanks for your post, you really helped me feel good about NOT having the salesman back again.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got my Lowe's windows replaced last year becaused they were sagging, started getting moldy(I never had mold before!), and they turned yellow. I decided to go with Eurocraft and paid a little bit more than Lowe's. The quality is outstanding. The sales rep that sold me came by two days ago and brought me a type of tea we both enjoy. I give them my fullest recommendations. The appt. was a little lengthy but it was worth knowing what I was buying.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out the rip-off report link and couldnt get the page to come up. I googled Rip Off report and found out the creator is an extortionist. I'll stick with the BBB.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Evans company came out and seen me as well. I liked the rep and felt the price was good as well. They put the windows in about two months ago and my wife and I really like them. If I was to do it all over again I would stick with the same company.
I also read the rip-off reports but I went with what I felt and I was right. the rip-off report website is owned by a scam artist too. So make your own decision; we did.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home