www.flickr.com

10.25.2006

not a NIN show

Last week I saw The Hold Steady in concert. About a year ago John V. told me to check them out, and I ended up listening to their second album for weeks on end. The place was small and packed and energetic. The band was great and Craig Finn really seems to be having fun on stage. Unfortunately the stage was only about a foot higher than the crowd and the bastard sons of Abe Lincoln were up front blocking the view (if the singer has to reach up to give you a high5 you need to move back a few rows). The folks up from were crazy drunk - smashing into each other, throwing beers and trying to crowd surf. My favorite quote from an angered audience member who obviously failed to listen to any of the music was: "why are they doing that ... it's not like we are at a nine inch nails show"
The opening act was good too for a change, but they were hard to watch b/c his voice didn't match his body at all. He looked kind of like Ted from Queer as Folk, but sounded like a young angry indie rocker.
I am sure that the next time they come around will be in a much larger and more expensive venue, so I am glad I got to see them in a small, drunk, smoke filled club that fit their music quite well.

1 Comments:

Blogger JMV said...

"Separation Sunday" finally "clicked" with me, and I've been listening to it nonstop. Now I'm bummed I missed them when they played LA...

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home